The British Prime Minister has condemned the Easter Sunday bomb attacks in Sri Lanka in a statement released today.
In a tweet this morning, Ms Theresa May, said,
“The acts of violence against churches and hotels in Sri Lanka are truly appalling, and my deepest sympathies go out to all of those affected at this tragic time.
We must stand together to make sure that no one should ever have to practise their faith in fear.”
The UK Foreign Office has issued a travel warning following a series of bomb blasts in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday.
The Foreign Office said it was “urgently seeking” information from authorities in Sri Lanka, adding that “British nationals in Sri Lanka should follow the instructions of local authorities and check FCO travel advice for updates.
Speaking after the reports, a spokeswoman for the UK FCO, said, “We are aware of reports of a number of explosions in Sri Lanka, including Colombo, and we are urgently seeking information from the local authorities.”
Over 150 people are confirmed to have been killed in the explosions in Batticaloa and Colombo, with the death toll rising.
British, American and Dutch and other foreign citizens are also among those that have so far been confirmed killed.