Fighting has intensified in several areas of Khartoum after a ceasefire deal between Sudan's army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) expired on Saturday.
Brokered by Saudi Arabia and the United States, the temporary truce calmed the fighting slightly and allowed limited humanitarian access, but like previous ceasefires was repeatedly violated. Talks to extend it broke down on Friday.
Sudan’s deadly power struggle, which erupted on 15 April, has triggered a major humanitarian crisis in which more than 1.2 million people have been displaced within the country, with another 400,000 forced to flee into neighbouring countries.
Beyond Khartoum, deadly fighting has also broken out in Darfur, in the far west of Sudan, already grappling with long-running unrest and huge humanitarian challenges.
At least 40 people were killed and dozens more wounded, including residents of the Kassab camp, which housed people displaced by earlier unrest, said the Darfur Bar Association, which monitors rights in the region.
The rains could complicate a relief effort already hampered by bureaucratic delays and logistical challenges. Aid workers have warned that dead bodies have been left in the streets and uncollected rubbish has been piling up.
Saudi Arabia and the US said they were continuing to engage daily with delegations from the army and the RSF, which had remained in Jeddah even though talks to extend the ceasefire were suspended last week.
Read more at the Guardian