Facebook icon
Twitter icon
e-mail icon

LIVE - Violence across Sri Lanka as homes burn and PM resigns

Mob attacks have broken out in Colombo as anti-government protestors were attacked and security forces fired water cannons, with reports of further violence and hundreds injured across the South of the island.

Armed troops have been deployed in Sri Lanka's capital with reports that pro-government supporters have also been attacked, as assaults were reported by both sides across the South. Protests are still continuing with the homes of several politicians set ablaze. As many as 100 people are reported to have been injured so far. At least 3 deaths have been reported.

The vehicles of several prominent Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) politicians have been set alight as violence breaks out across Colombo.

Read more here: Homes of Rajapaksa allies set alight

In Weeraketiya, Sri Lankan police report two people being shot dead and five injured at the residence of the Chairman of the Weeraketiya Pradeshiya Sabha.

The third death is that of Amarakeerthi Athikorala, a member of the government-aligned Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP). The lawmaker reportedly died in a clash with anti-government protestors.

“The MP fled the scene and took refuge at a nearby building,” a police official told AFP by telephone. “Thousands surrounded the building and he then took his own life with his revolver.”

Read more: Ruling MP dead as violence flares across Sri Lanka

Footage has flooded in from the capital showing mobs viciously attacking protestors at two main sites - outside the presidential secretariat and the prime minister's residence. The clashes began as pro-government supporters marched to the Galle Face Green protest site and began attacking demonstrators.

As water cannons were fired by security officers, clashes began to spread across the South with reporters that anti-government protestors were attacking regime supporters.

The leader of Sri Lanka's main opposition party, the Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB), Sajith Premadasa, has reportedly also been attacked.

A vehicle allegedly belonging to a government figure was toppled into a river, and bulldozers were used to destroy buses which had transported pro-government protestors.

More buses which carried Rajapaksa supporters to Colombo were attacked, whilst buildings of government political figures have also been set alight.

Hours after the violence broke out, Sri Lanka's prime minister handed in his resignation.

Read more: Sri Lanka's Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa resigns as violence erupts

An island-wide curfew is reported to have been imposed until 7am Tuesday.

We need your support

Sri Lanka is one of the most dangerous places in the world to be a journalist. Tamil journalists are particularly at threat, with at least 41 media workers known to have been killed by the Sri Lankan state or its paramilitaries during and after the armed conflict.

Despite the risks, our team on the ground remain committed to providing detailed and accurate reporting of developments in the Tamil homeland, across the island and around the world, as well as providing expert analysis and insight from the Tamil point of view

We need your support in keeping our journalism going. Support our work today.

For more ways to donate visit https://donate.tamilguardian.com.