Facebook icon
Twitter icon
e-mail icon

Gun used to kill former LTTE policeman found, wife reports preceding threats

Article Author: 

2nd lead

The murder weapon used to shoot dead a former LTTE policeman at his home in Mannar on Wednesday night was found by sniffer dogs in Vellankulam on Friday morning, 200m away from the site of the shooting.

The victim, 34 year old Naguleshwaran Krishnasuwamy was in his own backyard working towards constructing his own home on Wednesday night, when unidentified gunmen entered his house and shot him at 8.30pm.

According to the Uthayan newspaper, the weapon is T-56 gun. This is the first time in recent months that a murder weapon has been recovered following the killing of a Tamil person by unknown attackers.

His wife, Kavitha, said her husband had received threats in the days prior to the assassination.

Two unidentified men shouted the name of the victim in "an alarming tone", said Kavitha. When she told her late husband of the incident, she said he had replied saying, "I do not have any enemies or people who hate me".

So far four people have been questioned by police regarding the crime. The police have said they suspect a 'personal dispute' and are therefore conducting their inquiries based on this.

Victim's wife, Kavitha, and two children

Naguleshwaran had previously served as a police officer in the LTTE Police Department in the LTTE run defacto state of Tamil Eelam.

At the end of the armed conflict he was detained by the Sri Lankan military and put through the government's 'rehabilitation' programme for former LTTE cadres. In 2012, he was allowed to return to his family and given a daily wage for low skilled employment.

The victim's body has been transferred to Anuradhapura for further investigations.

Illupaikadavai police are reportedly conducting an inquiry into the shooting along side the military, who have together begun collecting evidence. The Mannar Magistrate has also visited the scene.

Following the assassination, security has been tightened and patrols increased. The A32 was also closed off for a few hours.

Family and friends of the victim who had travelled to the region for the funeral were turned by military personnel and police officers on Thursday, local sources told Tamil Guardian.

Barricades and special protection measures have also been deployed in the region. Only the Mannar Pradeshiya Saba chairman and a few priests have been allowed to enter.

The incident has sparked fear amongst Vellankulam residents and former LTTE cadre who have undergone the Sri Lankan government's 'rehabilitation' programme, in an area that has been under intense military occupation since the end of the armed conflict.


Victim - Naguleshwaran Krishnasuwamy

We need your support

Sri Lanka is one of the most dangerous places in the world to be a journalist. Tamil journalists are particularly at threat, with at least 41 media workers known to have been killed by the Sri Lankan state or its paramilitaries during and after the armed conflict.

Despite the risks, our team on the ground remain committed to providing detailed and accurate reporting of developments in the Tamil homeland, across the island and around the world, as well as providing expert analysis and insight from the Tamil point of view

We need your support in keeping our journalism going. Support our work today.

For more ways to donate visit https://donate.tamilguardian.com.