The United States criticised China's decision to welcome the Sudanese president, Omar al-Bashir into the country, whilst he remains accused of alleged war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide in Darfur.
The US State Department spokesperson, Mark Toner, said on Monday that Bashir should not be welcome to travel until he faces justice, reports AFP.
"As you know, he's been charged by the ICC with war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide," the spokesperson said.
"Warrants for his arrest remain outstanding and we strongly support the ICC's efforts to hold accountable those responsible for those acts," he added.
"We oppose invitations, facilitation or support for travel by persons subject to outstanding ICC warrants."
Last week, the former chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) called on the United States to grant Sudan’s fugitive president Omar al-Bashir a visa to entry the country for an upcoming United Nations summit and then arrest him on arrival.
In June, Mr Bashir was allowed to attend an African Union summit in South Africa last week, despite having a warrant for his arrest. He then left the country by plane with the tacit approval of the South African government, despite a court ruling to the contrary.
South Africa threatens to leave ICC (25 Jun 2015)
Arrest war crimes accused Sudanese president - TAG (15 June 2015)
ICC urges South Africa to arrest Sudan's President Bashir (14 June 2015)