Facebook icon
Twitter icon
e-mail icon

Bahrain atrocities commision reopens after angry protest

A commission set up by Bahrain to investigate allegations of government atrocities re-opened its office Wednesday, three days after it was shut due to protests by crowds angered by media reports – since denied – that it had exonerated the authorities.
 
The Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry was set up by King Hamad bin Eisa Al Khalifa in June to investigate allegations against the government of crimes against humanity during the country’s civil unrest.
 
Bahrain is accused of using excessive force in quelling protest by its majority Shia population against its Sunni rulers earlier this year.
 
Protesters clashed with staff at its office on Monday, after news reports alleged that the Bharaini authorities had been cleared of the accusations.
 
The BICI has now denied media reports that it found no evidence of crimes against humanity being committed.
 
“Hundreds of people forced their way into our office, angered over what they believed to be the commission Chair’s ‘conclusions’ on the investigation, and additionally having been directed by activists on Twitter and through mass texts to come to the office to report their complaints,” the BICI said Wednesday.
 
"Despite misleading headlines in recent news articles claiming that the commission has determined that the government of Bahrain committed no crimes against humanity during the demonstrations that have occurred over the last several months, the Commission would like to clarify that it has not made any such determination.”
 
There independence of the panel is doubted.
 
"The king established this commission, so this creates some doubts about its independence,"
said Nabeel Rajab, president of the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights.
 
"But, people like us try to overlook this. We want to grab any hope to take us out of this crisis."