US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, announced in a speech that the United States would impose heavy sanctions upon Iran if it failed to meet a 12 point list of demands. The speech follows the US withdrawal from the JCPOA, also known as the Iran nuclear deal.
Mr Pompeo stated that these demands were a “basic requirement”. They are listed below:
• Declare to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) a full account of the prior military dimensions of its nuclear programme and permanently and verifiably abandon such work in perpetuity.
• Stop enrichment and never pursue plutonium reprocessing, including closing its heavy water reactor.
• Provide the IAEA with unqualified access to all sites throughout the entire country.
• End its proliferation of ballistic missiles and halt further launching or development of nuclear-capable missile systems.
• Release all US citizens as well as citizens of US partners and allies.
• End support to Middle East "terrorist" groups, including Hezbollah, Hamas and Islamic Jihad.
• Respect the sovereignty of the Iraqi government and permit the disarming, demobilisation and reintegration of Shia militias.
• End its military support for the Houthi rebels and work towards a peaceful, political settlement in Yemen.
• Withdraw all forces under Iran's command throughout the entirety of Syria.
• End support for the Taliban and other "terrorists" in Afghanistan and the region and cease harbouring senior al-Qaeda leaders.
• End the Islamic Revolutionary Guard corps-linked Quds Force's support for "terrorists" and "militant" partners around the world.
• End its threatening behaviour against its neighbours, many of whom are US allies, including its threats to destroy Israel and its firing of missiles at Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, and threats to international shipping and destructive cyberattacks.
In response Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has said that the world will “not accept” US unilateralism and reinstated that Iran will follow its own path. In a similar vein, Iranian foreign minister, Mohammad Javed Zarif has called Mr Pompeo’s speech a “sham”.
Pompeo’s full speech is provided below.