The Sri Lankan government has banned 15 Tamil diaspora organisations as “LTTE fronts”.
The government banned the organisations as “foreign terrorists” under UN Security Council Resolution 1373 which was brought about by the USA on September 28, 2001 after the attack on the World Trade Centre.
A ban would make it a criminal offence for Sri Lankan citizens to maintain contacts with these organisations or its members, a move which is thought is likely to affect several members of Tamil political parties in Sri Lanka, the Daily Mirror said.
“It is learnt that the Sri Lankan ministry of External Affairs has gazetted legislation outlawing several organizations reportedly functioning in several countries including the USA, Canada Britain, Norway, Italy, Switzerland, France and Australia,” a report said, according to the paper.
“Among organisations proscribed are the Transnational Government of Tamil Eelam (TGTE) headed by New York lawyer Visuvanathan Ruthirakumaran, Global Tamil Forum headed by Catholic Priest Fr.SJ Emmanuel, the LTTE group led by Perinbanayagam Sivaparan alias Nediyavan and the tiger group led by Sekarampillai Vinayagamoorthy alias Vinayagam."
The Daily Mirror said that Minster of External Affair GL Peiris is expected to make an official announcement about the proscription later this week.
See below for list of organisations proscribed, as taken form the Daily Mirror.
01. Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam a.k.a LTTE a.k.a Tamil Tigers.
02. Tamil Rehabilitation Organization a.k.a TRO.
03. Tamil Coordinating Committee a.k.a TCC
04. British Tamil Forum a.k.a BTF
05. World Tamil Movement a.k.a WTM
06. Canadian Tamil Congress a.k.a CTC
07. Australian Tamil Congress a.k.a ATC
08. Global Tamil Forum a.k.a GTF
09. National Council Of Canadian Tamils a.k.a NCCT a.k.a Makkal Avai
10. Tamil National Council a.k.a TNC
11.Tamil Youth Organization a.k.a TYO
12. World Tamil Coordinating Committee a.k.a WTCC.
13. Transnational Government Of Tamil Eelam a.k.a TGTE
14. Tamil Eelam Peoples Assembly a.k.a TEPA
15 .World Tamil Relief Fund a.k.a WTRF
16. Headquarters Group a.k.a HQ Group