Facebook icon
Twitter icon
e-mail icon

Military denies attempts to restrict NGO activities

The defence ministry’s spokesperson has denied that the letter calling on NGOs to refrain from certain activities was an attempt to restrict their work.

Brigadier Ruwan Wanigasooriya said at media briefing in Colombo on Tuesday that the letter was only a reminder to act according to a mandate previously issued by NGO Secretariat and false information was being disseminated to misguide the public.

The letter, signed by the director of the NGO Secretariat, which falls under the defence ministry, said that NGOs should not overstep their mandate by engaging in activities such as holding press conferences, workshops, training for journalists, and the publication of press releases.

Severe restrictions placed on NGO activities by Ministry of Defence (07 July 2014)

We need your support

Sri Lanka is one of the most dangerous places in the world to be a journalist. Tamil journalists are particularly at threat, with at least 41 media workers known to have been killed by the Sri Lankan state or its paramilitaries during and after the armed conflict.

Despite the risks, our team on the ground remain committed to providing detailed and accurate reporting of developments in the Tamil homeland, across the island and around the world, as well as providing expert analysis and insight from the Tamil point of view

We need your support in keeping our journalism going. Support our work today.